Saturday, November 1, 2014

Tamarind Leaves Chutney


Yesterday, I plucked some more tamarind leaves. Winter will be here soon.  My beloved Tamarind plant will not survive the harsh winter. The perennial plant/tree of India is very much an annual plant in my neck of the woods. Sigh!!

Since I had already blogged about daal, I thought of making a simple chutney to go with Idlies. I didn't add any cilantro to retain that delicate green hue of the tamarind leaves.


Tamarind Leaves Chutney
Ingredients
1/2 cup tender tamarind leaves
1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
1/2 cup puffed chana daal/Pandharpuri DaaLe
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
3-4 green chilies
Water as needed for grinding

Method
1. Add all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Grind to a smooth paste.
3. Serve with idlies.

Note -
1. Use more green chilies if you prefer heat.
2. Tamarind leaves had enough tang so I didn't add any souring agent. Adjust per your liking.
3. I didn't add any tempering. But you can always temper the chutney by heating some oil and crackling some mustard seeds, asafetida and red chilies.


Idlis with Tamarind Leaves Chutney
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment