Thursday, November 13, 2014

Harabhara Kabab - Lush Green Kababs

 
 
I was an ardent fan of Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khajana in early nineties. Due to my utmost devotion to his show, I was introduced to Harabhara Kabab, Hazarvi Kabab, Shyam Savera, Rajma Rasmisa and many  delicacies which are eponymous with him. I was still a student that time, I would follow his recipes and create his signature dishes. Now, I am a mother who is looking for healthy recipes and don't have too much time on hand. I still like to create those dishes, but I use my own twists trying to keep pantry and health in check.

This is my version of Harabhara Kabab:-

 

Harabhara Kababs
Lush Green Kababs
Ingredients
2 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, boiled, Peeled
1 bunch  spinach , fresh or frozen
1 cup green peas
1 cup cilantro
5-6 fresh mint leaves (optional)
3 green chilies
3 cloves garlic
1" ginger, peeled

1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp chaat masala
1 tbsp. lemon juice
salt to taste

Oil for frying

Method
1. Pressure cook potatoes, green peas and spinach.
2. Peel potatoes. Grate them using coarse side of the grater. Set aside.
3. Drain spinach leaves. Grind drained spinach with green peas, cilantro, ginger, garlic, mint - if using and green chilies. Make a smooth green paste.
4. Add green paste to grated potatoes. Add garam masala, chaat masala, corn starch, lemon juice and salt. Knead well.
5. Make uniform balls. Flatten them a bit and place on a hot pan.
6. Drizzle oil as needed to cook on both sides till desired crispness.
7. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice. Make a complete meal by stuffing in a bun or slider roll, adding lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and a slice of cheese if you please.

Note -
1. Traditionally, a pinch of baking soda is added while cooking spinach and peas to retain the green color. I don't add baking soda.
2. I use a shortcut to grind my vegetable and herbs into a single paste.
3. I use harabhara kabab potato mixture as a stuffing for making parathas or stuffing for tomatoes to make stuffed tomatoes.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment