Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Pumpkin" Masala Milk/Kheer



When we had gone to the local farm for picking pumpkin for Halloween, I asked the lady at the counter if these pumpkins could also be used for cooking. I thought she would know for sure. The lady became flummoxed and hesitantly answered that she generally uses only the canned pumpkins for cooking. Since I hadn't used canned pumpkin then, and wanted to try a recipe for one, I got Libby's canned pumpkin [Note that this is the can containing only pumpkin, does not have any other spices etc.]

I made a couple of recipes using canned pumpkin. Since I had some pumpkin left, I came up with this "masala milk" for the current chilly weather. I wasn't sure if I should call it Pumpkin Masala Milk, Pumpkin Kheer or Pumpkin Eggnog without egg.

A word of caution :- Whatever you do, don't announce that you are serving "Pumpkin" Milk. You may receive a grimace, frown or protest from your family. Instead just say "Masala Milk"... But that's just my two cents!;-)

P.S. This masala milk/kheer tastes delicious and makes a perfect Indian Themed Thanksgiving dessert/drink.

"Pumpkin" Masala Milk/Kheer
Ingredients
4 cups milk [ preferably whole milk or at least 2 %]
1 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk [Adjust per personal taste]

1/2 cup canned pumpkin paste such as Libby's
1/2 tsp Pumpkin  Pie Spice [Homemade or McCormicks"]

Garnish
Few strands of saffron

Method
1. Pour milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Bring to boil.
3. Switch gas to low. Add canned pumpkin paste and pumpkin spice.
4. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Serve hot, warm or chilled, garnished with saffron strands.

Note -
1. Instead of sweetened condensed milk, sugar can be used. Adjust based on personal sweet tooth!
2. This recipe serves 4 people.





Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment