Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Deep (Leafy) Greens Stir Fry



I love Costco. I especially love to buy fruit & vegetables (fresh or frozen) in bulk and then I take it as a challenge to finish it. I have noticed that our vegetable consumption has increased quite a bit. Last week I got Organic Deep Greens (1.5 lb. bag!). I had ambitious plans of making power packed smoothie every morning, but it was not meant to be. So I just made a simple stir fry.

When chopped and added to tempering, leafy greens almost cover the entire wok. But when cooked they get wilted and shriveled and the quantity is reduced to fraction. That's the reason mom always advises to add salt only after the greens are cooked. It also retained their vitamins too.

Deep Greens Stir Fry
Ingredients
1.5 lb. Deep Greens, roughly chopped
salt to taste

Tempering
1/2 tbsp. oil
12 cloves garlic, minced
2 red chilies

Method
1. Chop the deep greens roughly. Mince the garlic cloves.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add chilies and minced garlic. Sauté for a minute.
3. Add chopped greens. Sauté till it's cooked. Generally they are cooked in their own juices. But if you think that they are getting stuck to the bottom, just sprinkle some water.
4. Add salt after greens are cooked.
5. Serve as a side dish with chapatti or bhakri.

Note -
1. I used Earthbound Farm's Organic Deep Greens blend that contained Kale, Spinach and Chard.




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment