Saturday, September 13, 2014

Banana Dosa

 
 


In spite of being born and raised in Mumbai, I must tell you that I still am not very familiar with all the parts of, in and around Mumbai. All of my relatives live on the Western Railway track. As a result, I have hardly travelled using Central and Harbor trains.

When I worked as a trainee, immediately after the graduation, I was sent for a weekly training course in Thane. We were a bunch of "freshers" and enjoyed every bit of our training and newfound freedom. We attended the classes, ate out in the restaurants (for which we were to get reimbursed - it seemed a thrillingly novel concept that time!!) and when a teacher showed up late, we played dumb charades. Life was good!

During one such outing at the near by restaurant - for the life of me, I can't remember the name - my friend, Satya, who was from South India, ordered "Banana Dosa". We - the rest of the Mumbaikars - had to re-read the menu card to make sure that there was  indeed such entry for Banana Dosa. We all were used to only sada dosa, masala dosa, rawa dosa, paper dosa, mysore masala dosa and such. Satya's Banana Dosa order was my only introduction to banana dosa.

But being a self-proclaimed foodie and with just way too much enthusiasm in cooking in general, - even after so many years - this was always on my "to-cook" wish list. With a leftover dosa batter in the fridge and two over-ripe bananas in the fruit basket, my wish came true!


Here's my version.

Banana Dosa
Banana Pancake
Ingredients
1 recipe Dosa Batter
1 or 2 over ripe bananas

Oil for cooking

Method
1. Prepare dosa batter per instructions here.
2. Mash over ripe banana and add to the batter.
3. Heat a nonstick pan.
4. Pour a ladleful of batter to make a thick pancake.
5. Drizzle some oil around.
6. Cover and cook on a medium flame.
7. Flip and cook on the other side.
8. Serve with the chutney of your choice.

Note -
1. You can either mash banana completely so there are no lumps or mash it lightly.





Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment