Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mashinga Pallya Bhutti - Drumsticks leaves Curry


There are many Indian stores in my town. Pretty much each store has their own brand identity. Mostly, they represent the delicacies from their owners' home state in India. I love visiting Indian stores because I get to see some unique items. I went to this particular Indian stores for the first time. They specialize in the food from Kerala. I gasped in disbelief when I saw drumsticks leaves there. The owner told me that they arrive from Hawaii. I never thought I would ever come across  Mashinga Pallo or shevgyacha paala - right here in U S of A. I was all set to make my grandmother's Mashingya Pallya Bhutti.

Mashinga Pallya Bhutti
Drumsticks Leaves Curry
Ingredients
2 cups Drumsticks leaves, rinsed, roughly chopped
7 pieces of drumsticks

salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery (optional)

Grind to a coarse paste
1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
5-6 byadgi chilies, roasted in a drop of coconut oil
1 tsp coriander seeds, roasted in coconut oil
1 tsp tamarind paste

Tempering
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds

Method
1. Pressure cook roughly chopped drumstick leaves and drumsticks using adequate water.
2. Grind coconut, chilies and coriander seeds with tamarind paste. Use water as needed for grinding.
3. Place cooked drumstick leaves and drumsticks in a saucepan.
4. Add ground paste and bring to boil.
5. Add salt and jaggery - if using. Let the water evaporate.
6. Heat a small saucepan for tempering. Add onion and coriander seeds. Saute till onion is golden.
7. Drizzle over the curry. Switch off the gas. Cover with a lid. This curry should be very thick and not watery.

Note
1. Drumsticks leaves weigh very less. So when buying make sure that you are buying enough.
Drumsticks Leaves


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment