Monday, September 23, 2013

Dudhi-Paneer Halwa


I had planned to make Dudhi Halwa yesterday. I forgot to check one essential item - Khoya/Mawa/Khava or at least ricotta cheese. I didn't even have my mom's to go item "milk powder" for making halwa. But I noticed a chunk of paneer slab. I thought of using it to make Dudhi-Paneer Halwa. Now, my not-so-picky family did enjoy this halwa, but I must tell you that, this substitution does not make Dudhi halwa as homogeneous as it results when khoya is used. Having said that, I do feel that it tastes good of its own and you will probably enjoy it if you love paneer.

Dudhi Paneer Halwa
Bottlegourd with Indian Cottage Cheese sweet
Ingredients
1 big bottlegourd, peeled, seeded and grated - about 6-7 cups
1/2 cup milk

2 cups grated/crumbled paneer/Indian cottage cheese
1 1/4 cup sugar

1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter (optional)

Garnish
7 green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Method
1. Pressure cook grated bottle gourd with milk. Set aside.
2. Place the cooked bottle gourd along with milk into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add paneer and sugar.
4. Keep stirring till all the moisture is evaporated.
5. If using, drizzle ghee/clarified butter now.
6. Garnish with cardamom and nutmeg powders.
7. Serve warm or chilled.

Note-
1. Try to use whole cardamoms/nutmeg and powder them instead of using pre-made cardamom/nutmeg powders.

Bottle Gourd


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment