Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Beetroot" Red Velvet Cupcakes


 
I have often thought of using beetroot in baking. First of all, it's so sweet that even sugar is made from it and is readily available in the supermarkets. Secondly, in India beetroot halwa is made. While I was mulling over the recipe, I spotted a "Red Velvet Cupcake" recipe while waiting for my dentist to show up. It sure was a Eureka moment for me!

Beetroot Red Velvet Cupcakes - Count 15
Recipe from Sunset Magazine
Ingredients
1 lb red beetroots (3 medium), pressure cooked, peeled

Sift
2 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder

Whisk
Beet Puree
1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup canola oil
3/4 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Pressure cook beetroots. Let it cool down. Peel and grind to a fine puree. It should measure up to 1 1/4 cup. Preheat oven 350F
2. Sift cake flour with baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder and cocoa powder. If you do not have cake flour, refer to the note below.
3. Whisk beat puree with sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla - using a handheld electric mixer.
4. Mix flour to the beet mixture.
5. Spoon into 12 muffin cups.

6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
7. Let them cool down for 10 minutes. Frost the cupcake if you wish using the link below.



Note -
1. If you don't have cake flour and don't have any intention of buying a new pack, here's what to do. I found this trick while surfing the Internet. For each cup cake flour, take 1 cup all purpose flour and remove 2 tbsp all purpose flour from it. or after removing 2 tbsp all purpose flour, add 2 tbsp corn starch to it. Since I had corn starch handy and I needed 2 cups cake flour for this recipe, I used 1/4 cup corn starch and 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
2. Refer to the original recipe below for frosting. Also note that the original recipe recommends baking the beets but I pressure cooked them. Cocoa powder was also my addition.

Recipe Credits
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-50400000123760/


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment