Monday, February 18, 2013

Mogrichi Bhaaji - Radish String Beans

 
It's been ages since I ate mogri. I have seen it in the frozen section of the Indian stores. But I was craving for the fresh ones. The only way to achieve this, especially when you are away from your native land is grow it yourself. Our local nursery sold white and red radish seeds. So I planted those hoping to get green and purple string beans. My container garden produced enough harvest to make this bhaaji.  I decided to make this bhaaji - Konkani Talasani style.
 
This bhaaji is relished in my Maharashtrian, Konkani as well as Gujarati families. So I will blog more recipes using this bhaaji soon.
 
Mogri chi Bhaaji
Radish String Beans Stir Fry
Ingredients
2 cups Radish string beans/Mogrichya shenga, remove both ends, tear into 1-2" pieces
salt to taste
 
Tempering
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2-3 dry, red chilies, halved
 
Garnish
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
 
Method
1. Heat oil in a wok or kadhai or bogaLe (Konkani word!)
2. Add mustard seeds. As they splutter, add asafoetida and chilies.
3. Add rinsed and drained mogri. Stir fry.
4. Cover with a lid. Add water on the lid.
5. Let it cook.
6. Add salt and coconut.
 
Note -
1. If mogries are too short, just remove both ends and use the whole string bean.
Mogrichya Shenga
 
 



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment