Monday, February 11, 2013

Nonche

 
 This used to be one of my grandmother's signature recipes. Let me be honest with you. I never ever thought I will ever make this in my lifetime. But never say never! I found some raw baby mangoes in brine on the shelves of our local Indian stores. As luck would have it the brand was "Grandma's"!! I decided to try this nonche/pickle. This pickle goes by the name "Mangloori Nonche" in my family. The baby mangoes worked okay but my only complaint was they were tad bigger than my grandmother used for making this pickle. But I was glad that at least I found these baby mangoes. This pickle is also known as "Midi Lonche".
 
 
Nonche
Raw Mango Pickle South Canara way
Ingredients
 1 jar Grandma's mangoes in brine (around 8 - 10 raw mangoes)
 
To make salt solution/brine
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup salt

Grind to a fine paste
2 tbsp mustard seeds, roasted
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, roasted
3 - 5 byadgi chilies (or per taste)
1 tbsp paprika for color
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
 
Method
1. Take off the raw mangoes from the jar.
 
2. Bring water and salt to boil. Switch off the gas. Let it cool completely.
3. Grind seeds and powders very finely adding salt water as needed. You probably will not need all the salt water.
4. Mix the ground paste with mangoes.
5. Keep aside covered for at least 1/2 a day.
6. Serve as a pickle with a typical Mangloori meal of daalitauy, sheeth (rice) and upkari or talasani.
 
Note -
1. Refrigerate the leftover pickle. Use within 2 weeks.
2. I used "Grandma's" brand mangoes in brine from the local Indian stores. These mangoes are bigger than the ones that are used traditionally.
 
 
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment