Tuesday, July 7, 2015

KeLya Gabbya Upkari - Banana Stem Stir Fry


When I wanted to blog about Sanjimaayi's KeLya Gabbya Kochcholi, I substituted banana stems with Hearts of Palm from the can. I had thought then, that I would need to make a trip to Matunga, Mumbai to get the fresh banana stem. But never in my wildest imagination, I had thought of getting fresh banana stem right here in my city.

I was overjoyed to see it and wasn't even sure if I would know how to cut it. But the shop owner told me what needs to be done.

KeLya Gabbya Upkari
Banana Stems Stir Fry
Ingredients
1 banana stem, peeled & chopped about 2 cups
salt to taste

1/4 cup yellow moong daal, soaked for 1/2 hour

Tempering
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
3-4 byadgi chilies, halved
2 springs curry leaves, torn

Garnish
A generous handful of scraped coconut

Method
1. Take a banana stem and give a gash to peel off outer layer till you get the inside banana stem. Please see the cross section of the banana stem. You need to get rid of at least 2 layers to get inside the stem.



2. Dice the peeled, tender banana stem into small pieces. It should be cut smoothly. Otherwise if it is too rough to be cut, discard the piece.
3. Put the diced banana stem into a buttermilk to avoid discoloration.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan/kadhai/bogaLe. Add the spices and chilies. As they splutter, add soaked moong daal. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add drained banana stem pieces. Discard the buttermilk.
5. Cover with a lid. Pour water onto the lid. Let it cook.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Garnish with scraped coconut or coconut pieces.

Note -
1. I used coconut pieces instead of scraped coconut.
2. Instead of moong daal, chana daal can also be used.

Banana Stem/KeLya Gabbo




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment