Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Garlic Scapes Chutney


 
I spotted these beautiful garlic scapes at our farmers market. They looked distinctly different than fresh garlic that we get in Mumbai during winter. The farmer told me that they come in two variety - local and California. He gave me both of them. He suggested making pesto with it. I gave that suggestion - my very own Indian makeover. I used some for making chutney to be served with idlies and I made "Kolhapuri Thecha" with the remaining.
 
 
Garlic Scapes Chutney
Ingredients
3-4 garlic scapes, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup coconut
2 tbsp. Pandharpuri DaLe/puffed chana daal
1/3 cup plain yogurt
3-4 green chilies (Adjust per heat)
salt to taste
 
Tempering
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
2 red chilies, broken
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
 
Method
1. Grind garlic scapes, coconut, puffed chana daal, chilies and salt to a coarse paste.
2. Add yogurt and grind again.
3. Pour into a serving bowl.
4. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering. Let them splutter.
5. Drizzle over chutney.
6. Serve with hot idlies.
 
Note-
1. Chop garlic scapes and discard any rough parts.

Fresh Garlic Scapes


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment