Saturday, July 25, 2015

Masala Sanna Khotte - Spicy Idli (1)

 

 


I haven't eaten Khotte in ages. But these days, Indian storeowners bring many uniquely exotic vegetables. So I am hoping that one day I may even get jackfruit leaves. You see, khotte are steamed in the containers made using jackfruit leaves. After they are steamed, the idli gets a very unique flavor. The leaves are meant to be discarded. When we visited "Robert is here" in Miami, I longingly looked at their jackfruit tree.  I wished they were selling jackfruit leaves along with their delicious fruits. I guess, only a Konkani can understand that feeling about jackfruit leaves.;-)

Mom mentioned that Ram Nayak's Idli House in Matunga/King Circle area serve all the Konkani idlies - Khotte and masala khotte included. They are served with chutneys, but more importantly with coconut oil as well. There are two ways (with or without cabbage) Masala Khottes are made in my family. So for keeping records, I am going to blog both the methods. However, accept my apologies since there are no jackfruit leaves to be seen in my part of the world. So I steamed them in my usual idli stand. One can make banana leaves wrapper as I had tried here. But still for qualifying it to be the authentic khotte, jackfruit leaves are essential.

Please note that these khotte are heavier than usual fluffy idlies. They are served as a side dish with your daily Konkani meal.

Masala Sanna Khotte - 1
Spicy Steamed Dumpling
Ingredients
1/4 cup toor daal
1 cup rice

Grind
8-10 byadgi chilies, roasted in few drops of coconut oil
1/2 cup fresh coconut

You will also need
1/2 tsp asafetida
1 tsp tamarind paste
salt

Coconut oil to grease the mold

Method
1. Soak toor daal and rice overnight.
2. Next morning, grind to a smooth paste along with roasted chilies and coconut.
3. Cover and set aside for about  8 -10 hours.
4. Right before steaming the idlies, stir in asafetida and tamarind paste.
5. Adjust the batter consistency, adding more water as needed.
6. Grease idli mold with coconut oil. Pour the batter. Traditionally, the batter is poured into the moulds made up of jackfruit leaves.
7. Steam for about 45 minutes.
8. Serve hot with coconut oil. Serve as an accompaniment with your meal.

Note -
1. For most authentic flavor, use containers made with jackfruit leaves.
2. This idli is not as fluffy as the usual idli.



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment