Thursday, June 11, 2015

Hurdyache ThalipeeTh

 


 

 
 My mom had been to Mahalakshmi Saras Exhibition at Bandra Reclamation ground with her friends. They tasted delicious "HurDyache ThalipeeTh". I really thought that it was an amazing idea to try. But getting "HurDa" here is United States was impossible - or so I thought.

Last week, I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted "Ponk" made by Deep Brand in the frozen section. What we call "hurDa" in Marathi(हुर्डा ) , Gujaratis called "Ponk" (પોંક ) - it's fresh, green tender grains of Sorghum/Jowar/Jondhala/Jwari.

Deep's description says -
"
As delicious as it's rare, Ponk is known in Western India as a special treat - available during short time during winter months. Ponk is lightly roasted so as to retain its tenderness and moisture. Traditionally mixed with tangy sev, Ponk is a perfect snack.
"

Every winter, you get fresh ponk/hurDa in certain parts of Mumbai. I remember my aunt would make that special trip all the way to Dadar - near Kabutar khana - to get that fresh ponk. It was sprinkled with chaat masala and crispy sev.

I took that ponk from the freezer section, thaw it completely at the room temperature, used the bhajni from my pantry and made this thalipeeth. It was delicious.

Disclosure - I am not affiliated to Deep food products by any means. I am just sharing my excitement about finding a rare childhood winter treat right here in the US of A.

Hurdyache ThalipeeTh
हुरड्याचे थालीपीठ
Green Sorghum Grains Pat a cake
Ingredients
1 cup green sorghum grains/HurDa/Ponk
1 1/2 cups Thalipeeth Bhajni
3/4 cup minced onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

salt to taste

oil for frying

Method
1. If using "Ponk" from the frozen section, thaw it completely at room temperature.
2. Mix it with bhajni, onion, cilantro and salt.
3. Add water as needed to make little loose dough.
4. Heat a cast iron or nonstick griddle.
5. Keep a bowl of water ready to wet your hands from time to time.
6. Take a ball of the dough with wet hand, place it gingerly on the hot pan. Start patting with your wet hand till it's flat, round and thin.
7. Mark 4-5 holes using the back of a spoon.
8. Drizzle oil as needed around the thalipeeth and into the holes.
9. Cover and let it cook on medium heat.
10. Remove the lid. Flip and let it crisp up on the other side.
11. Serve hot thalipeeth off the pan immediately.

Note-
1. ThalipeeTh bhajni generally contains all the necessary spices, but if you like it, you can add more chili powder or ginger-garlic paste depending on your preference.
2. Thalipeeth bhajni generally does not contain salt. However, make sure it doesn't have it first, and then add salt accordingly.
3. Traditionally thalipeeth is served with a dollop of homemade butter/loNi. But this recipe is otherwise very much vegan!
4. I used Ponk - Deep brand - from the freezer section of my local Indian stores.



Print Page

1 comment: