Saturday, June 20, 2015

GYO - Methichi Dushmi

 


 

 

Dushmi is a Maharashtrian flatbread. My grandmother used to make several different dushmies like rajgiryachi dushmi, jwarichi dushmi, bajrichi dushmi, and of course, methichi dushmi. Each dushmi has some different ingredients which make them unique in taste from the rest, but the common factor that gives them the name "Dushmi" is that milk is used to knead the dough instead of water. Hopefully, I will cover all the rest of the dushmies as the time permits. But today, let's devour Methichi Dushmi from my homegrown Methi or fenugreek leaves.

Ok, here's what I did -

I just threw some fenugreek seeds in the soil.


Just some sunshine, water and voila!!! My own methi plant was ready to be harvested.
Here it is - Methi Plant 2008.
I am a very amateur gardener. I do not yet have a vegetable patch (in the soil) in my backyard. Somehow, I am really intimidated. I do only container gardening. Sometime, in future I wish to start digging. Let's plan it for 2009.


Methichi Dushmi - makes 9 flatbreads
मेथीची दशमी 
Fenugreek Leaves Flatbread
Ingredients
1 bunch fenugreek leaves/methi, rinsed, chopped approx 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups cups wheat flour
1 tbsp besan
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
A pinch of ajwain/owa (Optional)
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
1/2 tbsp oil

Milk to knead the dough - as needed
oil for roasting

Method
1. Mix flours, methi/fenugreek leaves, salt, chili powder , besan, turmeric powder, & owa - if using.
2. Add milk as needed to make the dough. Add 1/2 tbsp oil and knead again. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
3. Make around 9 uniform balls, roll into a thin disc.
4. Shallow fry using few drops of oil till brown spots appear on both sides.
5. Serve hot with plain yogurt (dahi), achar (lonache) or subzi (bhaaji)
Dushmis are kept in an aluminum foil.
Note -
1. More the fenugreek/methi, better is the taste.
2. Use full fat or at least 2% milk for better flavor.
3. Generally, these flatbreads are larger in diameter. I have made them not too large.
4. Dushmi is a singular form. For plural, we say - मेथीच्या दशम्या/ Methichya Dushmya.:-)



This post is my entry for Grow Your Own - hosted at Jugalbandi
GYO event is started by Andrea of Andrea's Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment