Thursday, March 7, 2013

Avla Pudiye Nonche - Indian Gooseberry Pickle (2)

 
I mentioned here about making the pickle powder for making the Pudiye Nonche. I keep this powder ready in a bottle and then use it based on the fresh ingredients I can find in the market.  I noticed frozen AvLa/Amla/Indian Gooseberry. I decided to use it. If I am lucky, sometimes I do get American gooseberries at our local Farmers Market during summer time. But summer is far away. Here's what I did with my frozen Avla.
 
Pudiye Nonche with Indian Gooseberries
Indian Gooseberry Pickle
Ingredients
1 packet frozen Indian Gooseberries
Pickle powder as needed
 
Tempering
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp turmeric powder
 
Method
1. Thaw Indian gooseberries completely.
2. Rinse. I noticed that peel was coming off, so I peeled it completely. Remove the seeds.
3. Chop the gooseberries into small parts.
5. Dry on a clean kitchen towel.
6. Mix with pickle powder.
7. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As it splutter, switch off the gas. Set aside and let it cool down completely.
8. Drizzle the cooled tempered oil over the pickle. Mix well. Set aside for at least 1 day, before using.
9. Store in an airtight container. Refrigerate.
 
Note -
1. Use within 2-3 weeks. Refrigerate after each use.
2. Generally we don't add any tempering for Pudiye Nonche. But since I was using the frozen variety, I though oil would act as a preservative.
3. Now "Awla" is in season in Mumbai. Mom made the same pickle with fresh awlas. She washed and dried awlas, took out the seeds and chopped into pieces. Proceed from step 2 onwards, if using fresh awlas. Tempered oil enhances the taste.
4. Pickle Pudi is made as described here.




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment