Sunday, March 24, 2013

Steamed Chinese Vegetables



When I had to travel for work last year, I discovered that I found Chinese Food really healthful. For my 5 days work schedule, lunch was provided at the venue but for dinner, I was of my own. Though I had rented the car, I was too lazy to go drive at night to find a new restaurant. I discovered a tiny Chinese joint at a walking distance from my hotel. Every night, I plopped onto the sofa, took a remote in my hand, watched TV and enjoyed my Chinese takeout. This was surprising since we hardly go for Chinese Buffets.

Well, the best thing about it was I requested to make the food to suit my needs (less oil, no eggs, no chicken etc). I am not exactly a vegan or a vegetarian but I crave for vegetarian food more these days. That's  how I discovered some delicious Chinese vegetable & tofu delicacies. I don't remember seeing these at the usual Chinese buffet spreads.

Steamed vegetables and plain jasmine rice was particularly good. Especially, after eating the restaurant food for a week, it was a welcome change. I added some hot sambal and I was set.

After coming back home, I tried to create it. It is simple, bland yet healthful & light.


Steamed Chinese Vegetables
Ingredients
A handful of broccoli florets
A handful of cauliflower florets
Napa Cabbage
Bok Choy
A handful of sugar snap peas
Carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
Onions, peeled and cut into chunks
4 Swiss chard leaves

Suggested Accompaniment
Steaming hot Jasmine Rice
Hot sauce such as Sriracha

Method
1. Keep a saucepan with water on the stove. Make sure that your bamboo steamer can be immersed in the water completely.
2. Lined the steamed with 2 chard leaves per each container.
3. Scatter your vegetables over the leaves.

4. Cover and let it cook for 7-8 minutes.
5. Take off the heat. Keep covered for 5 more minutes. Sprinkle some salt as needed.
6. Serve with plain jasmine rice and hot sauce of your choice.

Note
1. I change my vegetables based on the availability in my refrigerator. Choose your own favorites.
2. I do not like to overcook the vegetables. I like to see a bright green broccoli the way it looks in Chinese restaurant and not the mushy one. You may need to adjust cooking time based on your own preference.



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment