Saturday, April 25, 2015

Grilled Teriyaki Mushroom Burger

 

Teriyaki Mushroom Burger with oven roasted fries and roasted edamame

 

About a decade or so ago, it was very difficult for me to go to the steakhouse/barbeque grill restaurants. I had no idea what to eat. Though I was technically a non-vegetarian then - which meant I ate chicken or seafood only on Sunday - I couldn't eat a huge chicken breast. There were not many vegetarian options. I generally used to land up eating just salad or baked potato or fries.

Now many steakhouses also have better options for vegetarians. Personally, I have gone from chicken may be on Sunday to no-chicken consumption at all policy. (I cook chicken for my family though!)  So when I saw the vegetable kabobs at the usual steakhouse, I was happy. They also had a distinct smoky flavor to it. How do they do it? The mushroom was moist and still it was smoky at the same time! My friend shared that they use liquid smoke. We went to another barbeque grill, where I ordered Portabella mushroom burger, which was marinated in teriyaki sauce, grilled with a touch of liquid smoke. I thought that I was ready to handle the liquid smoke myself.

Grilled Teriyaki Mushroom Burger
Ingredients
3 Portabella mushrooms, cleaned, remove stem and gills

3/4 cup Teriyaki sauce
1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste

Few drops of liquid smoke

Oil/Spray as needed

For assembling burgers
Burger buns
Hummus
Firm tomatoes, cut into circles
Red onions, cut into circles
Boston Bib Lettuce
Ketchup/Relish etc.

Method
1. Clean mushrooms. Remove stems and gills.
2. Mix teriyaki sauce with ginger garlic paste & few drops of liquid smoke.
3. Pour in a ziplock bag. Place mushrooms inside and zip the seals off.
4. Make sure that the mushrooms are nicely marinated.
5. Set aside for at least 1 hour.
6. Heat your grill pan.
7. Spray with oil spray such as Pam.
8. Place the mushrooms with flat side on the grill at about 30 degree angle. Let it cook.
9. Carefully turn and place each mushroom at about 120 degree angle. Let it cook. We are doing this to get a nice criss-cross pattern.
10. Flip and cook on the other side.
11. Meanwhile, assemble your burger buns. Smear some hummus.
12. Place a lettuce leaf on each bun. Place burger. Top with onions, tomatoes, relish, ketchup etc.
13. Serve with oven roasted fries.

Note-
1. Liquid smoke is easily available in the supermarkets where you get barbeque marinade essentials.




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment