Sunday, April 12, 2015

Black Bean Noodles with Schezwan Prawns Curry


 

 

 
I was browsing through Costco's Organic section and chanced upon these black bean noodles/pasta. The ingredients list comprised only one ingredient - black beans. That was very promising so I decided to experiment with it. For an unknown reason, I didn't feel like treating it as pasta so I didn't go Italian way. I thought some Asian flavor may work well. I raided my fridge and found Schezwan/Sicuan sauce bottle. As the it was getting ready, I thought of giving a taste test. Boy, was it spicy! So I had to tone it down a little for Gudiya to enjoy. So I decided to add some peanut butter and coconut milk. I think overall, it really worked well.

Black Bean Noodles with Schezwan Curry
Ingredients
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cored, sliced
A handful of green beans, sliced/French cut
1/4 cup each of water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and baby corn
1 tbsp. peanut butter
1 cup coconut milk
Few drops of toasted sesame oil
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp. Schezwan Sauce (Readymade)

Marinate
3/4 cup peeled and deveined shrimp/prawns
A pinch of turmeric powder
salt

Tempering
1 tbso oik
1.2 tbso ginger garlic paste

Method
1. Heat oil in a hot wok. Add ginger garlic paste. Add vegetables one after the other. Do not overcook.
2. Add marinated shrimp. Saute for a minute or so.
3. Add schezwan sauce, salt as needed, sugar and toasted sesame oil.
4. Stir fry.
5. Meanwhile cook black bean noodles per package directions. I undercooked them since they were to boil again in the curry.
6. Add peanut butter and coconut milk. Add 1  1/2 cup water. Adjust for seasoning.
7. As curry is boiling, add drained moodles immediately.
8. Simmer for a minute.
9. Serve curry, vegetables, noodles in a bowl. Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon.

Note-
1. For a vegan version, skip shrimp. Use Tofu if desired.


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment