Sunday, July 28, 2013

Goan Pomfret Rechado


My friend, Pooja V had sent me a packet of "Rechado" paste from Goa. She also sent a note that this is pronounced as "Reshado" which was very helpful to me!;-)  I made this delicious rechado and noted down the ingredients from the packet. Later, I tasted this pomfret Rechado again at "Viva Goa" in San Francisco. After that I wanted to try it myself.  So this is just my version based on Pooja V's Rechado packet and Viva Goa's preparation.

Pomfret Rechado
Goan Pan Fried Pomfret
Ingredients
1 medium pomfret
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice

Oil for frying

Grind
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp Sriracha chili-garlic paste
1 tbsp malt vinegar
1/2 tsp garam masala
A pinch of clove powder
A pinch of cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, preferably freshly made


Method
1. Get the pomfret cleaned from you fish monger such that it it not cut into steaks or fillets but it remains whole for stuffing. Rinse under running water. Pat try. Add salt, turmeric and lemon juice. Set aside till ready to use.
2. Grind all the ingredients to make a thick paste. Do not use water.
3. Apply the ground paste inside and outside to the pomfret.
4. Heat a cast iron pan. Add oil.
5. Place the pomfret on the pan.
6. Fry on low flame till it is crispy on both sides. Add oil as needed.
7. Serve with salad of your choice.

Note -
1. The original recipe contains Kashmiri red chilies. I have substituted Paprika for color and Sriracha for some heat.




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment