Monday, June 24, 2013

Tomato Basil Loaf



I tweaked my breadmaker machine's recipe for basic white bread and made my version of Tomato Basil loaf.  I was inspired to make this loaf after eating a delicious Mediterranean sandwich at Panera.


Tomato Basil Loaf
Ingredients
3 1/4 cup Bread flour (King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce(such as Muir Glenn) + 1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp breadmakers/active rise yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp shredded Italian basil, fresh
1 sundried tomato from the jar, chopped

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients and knead to a smooth dough by hand.
2. You may need little more water to make a smooth dough. But adjust it depending on the consistency of the dough.


3. Cover and set aside in an oiled bowl till the dough doubes in size. Punch the dough down.
4. Place in a loaf pan. Cover and let it rise again.
5. Bake in a preheated oven 350F for 20-25 minutes.
6. Invert the loaf. Let it cool completely before slicing.

Note-
1. I have made the same recipe in the breadmaker but I must add that I have to add little water here and little flour there, based on the elasticity of the dough. Adjust accordingly.
2. Use this bread to make a delicious Mediterranean sandwich by spreading hummus, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach, thinly sliced onion, roasted red bell peppers.
3. I didn't use any fresh herbs or tomato in the first picture. I used fresh basil and chopped sundried tomato in the second picture of the dough.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment