Saturday, June 1, 2013

High Fiber Appe or Idlies


I had packet of 17 beans soup mix from Trader Joes. I had tall plans to make this soup like "Daal Makhni" or "Daal Maharani". But it never happened. After keeping that packet for infinity on my pantry shelf, I finally decided to use it off at once.

If I had indeed made that soup, it would have lasted us forever. So I decided to make an idli like batter and freeze it. I remembered that Saffron Hut had posted 16 beans Adai many years ago. I decided to use her idea and made idli/appe.

High Fiber Appe
Ingredients
1 pack 17 beans & Barley soup
1 cup brown rice
1 cup urad daal

1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste

Oil as needed

If making appe -
Stir in the batter
2 sprigs curry leaves
3 green chilies (or as needed) minced
2 tbsp finely minced red onion
1 tsp whole black peppercorns

Method
1. Soak beans, rice, daal overnight. Make sure it has plenty of water.
2. Drain and grind to a smooth batter adding salt and asafoetida.
3. Take out in a big container. Cover and set aside to ferment.
4. After fermenting, I keep half of the batter in a freezer safe container for later use.
5. If making appe, add the additional ingredients in the batter. Add more water if needed to adjust the consistency. Adjust salt. Heat Appe kayili/paatra/pan. Add oil and fry appe till they are browned on both the sides. Serve with chutney of your choice.
6. If making idli, grease idli pan/paatra and steam idlies. Adjust for salt and water as needed before pouring the batter. Serve idlies with chutney or sambar.

Note -
1. I used half of the batter to make idlies and the other half for making spicy appes.

Credits
http://saffronhut.blogspot.com/2006/11/more-is-more-16-bean-adai.html


17 Bean & Barley Idlies

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment