Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Makhne Ki Kheer - Exotic Puffed Lotus Seeds Pudding

Phool Makhne ki Kheer - Puffed Lotus Seeds Pudding!
 

Makhna or Phool Makhna is puffed lotus seeds. They are considered quite nutritious. I bought this packet simply out of curiosity. Traditionally, I am not familiar with this food. I have added these puffed lotus seeds to the Kormas and Curries. But I always wanted to make "Kheer" where they are used as the main ingredient. I looked up my two food Gurus for the inspiration - Tarla Dalal and Sanjeev Kapoor. I , then decided to make my changes and created my own recipe as below.

Makhne Ki Kheer
Puffed Lotus Seeds Pudding
Ingredients
1 cup Puffed Lotus Seeds/Makhna/Phool Makhna
1 tsp. clarified butter/ghee

3 cups milk - preferably whole or 2% milk
1 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup ricotta cheese or mava/khoya/khava
2 tbsp. MTR Badam Milk Masala

Crush to powder
3-4 green cardamoms, peeled
1 very small piece of nutmeg

Garnish
Few threads of saffron

Method
1. Heat a spoonful of ghee. Roast puffed lotus seeds/Makhna. Set aside.
2. Heat milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Keep stirring from time to time. When it comes to boil, lower the gas and let it simmer for few minutes. Add ricotta cheese. Mix well.
3. Add roasted makhna, MTR Badam Milk Masala and crushed cardamoms and nutmeg.
4. Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with saffron before serving.

Exotic Puffed Lotus Seeds Pudding

 
Note -
1. Sugar can be used instead of sweetened condensed milk.
2. I served this kheer in Kulhads - Indian earthen pots.

Credits
Tarla Dalal
&
Sanjeev Kapoor



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment