Saturday, July 5, 2014

Kolumbiche Tikhale - Prawns Curry



My Mumbai visit is incomplete without slurping "Kolumbiche Tikhale" at Sayba, Bandra. Let me be honest. If I were living in Mumbai, I would not have bothered to recreate this curry at home. But then I don't live in Mumbai and I crave this curry rather insanely, so this is just my attempt.

Kolumbiche Tikhale
Prawns Curry
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups medium prawns, peeled
salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Grind to a fine paste
1 cup fresh coconut
2 cloves garlic, chopped , roast in a few drops of oil
1 small onion, roughly chopped about 1/4 cup
1 tbsp. coriander seeds, roast
4-5 black peppercorns, roast
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp raw rice, soaked in water
7 byadgi chilies, soaked in water
2-3 Kashmiri chilies, soaked in water

Tempering
1/2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. minced onion

Suggested Accompaniment
Plain Rice

Method
1. Clean, rinse prawns. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder. Set aside.
2. Grind coconut with the remaining ingredients to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion till golden.
4. Add prawns and masala.
5. Adjust water. Do not make it too thin.
6. Adjust for salt.
7. Bring to boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.


Note -
1. Kashmiri chilies are used for color and byadgi chilies are used for heat.


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment