Monday, June 23, 2014

Homemade Dahi/Yogurt



Off late, the supermarket shelves are loaded with Greek Yogurt containers and I miss our good, old plain dahi - yogurt. During last few visits to the super market, I couldn't find my usual yogurt brand. The rest of the brands either had pectin or gelatin which I don't care in my yogurt. So I went the traditional route of making it at home.

I remember that my mom used to add active yogurt cultures to barely warm milk every single night so we had fresh yogurt next day. It's not really a hard process. Of course, you may wonder how was the yogurt created for the very first time, since to set the yogurt, you do need some yogurt! (active cultures/VirjaN in Marathi/MervaN in Gujarati)


Homemade Dahi/Yogurt
Ingredients
1 cup milk (full fat, 2%, skim - whatever is your choice)
1 tsp yogurt

Method
1. Heat milk on the lowest gas mark.
2. Once it's boiled, switch it off and set aside to cool down to the room temperature.
3. In a ceramic bowl, add a spoonful of yogurt. Beat it quickly.
4. Add barely warm milk. Stir once.
5. Cover and keep aside in a warm place to set.
6. Homemade yogurt will be ready in about 6 - 8 hours depending on the climate. It will set quicker in summer than in winter.
7. Refrigerate once the yogurt is set.

Note -
1. If you forget to keep the yogurt in the fridge after setting, it may turn sour.
2. Generally ceramic or earthenware containers are used to set yogurt in India.




Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment