Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Turnip Greens chi Bhaaji


I have heard and read that turnip greens are used and devoured in Kashmir. But I don't remember eating turnip greens in Mumbai. After coming to US, I missed my mom's paalebhaji/leafy greens. So I started looking for the greens at the American supermarkets. The only familiar greens were probably spinach & mustard greens at that time. But slowly & surely, I started using all of the unfamiliar American Leafy greens like collard greens, turnip greens, kale, swiss chard, dandelions. and now all of them have become staples in my kitchen. Today I am sharing, turnip greens chi bhaji - just the way my mom makes any paalebhaji in Mumbai.


Turnip Greens chi Bhaaji
Turnip Greens Stir Fry
Ingredients
1 packet frozen turnip greens with chopped turnips
salt to taste

Tempering
2 tsp oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 green chilies, slit

Garnish
1 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut

Method
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add garlic, onion and chilies.
3. Saute till soft.
4. Add turnip greens without thawing.
5. Cover and let it cook.
6. Add salt to taste and coconut.

Note -
1. You can add a pinch of sugar if you like.
2. You can add turmeric powder if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment