Saturday, August 31, 2013

Thai Curry topped with Green Pea Shoots


I first saw these tiny green pea shoots at San Francisco's Farmers' Market. I was wondering how to use them. As luck would have it, the very same day we dined at the "Plant" restaurant in San Francisco's Marina area. I had Thai curry and it came garnished with those same pea shoots. They reminded me of the small methi shoots known as vaLutli methi or samudra methi in Mumbai. I loved this combo.

At home, I grew my own pea shoots by planting dried green peas (hirve vataNe) in old mushroom containers. I generally, sprout the beans but this was actually making the seedlings. I then, used these pea shoots to garnish the curry.


Thai curry topped with green Pea Shoots
6 cups stir-fry vegetables, frozen
Salt to taste
1 can reduced fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp sugar

Tempering
1 tbsp dark sesame oil

Grind to a fine paste
1 bunch cilantro
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tsp minced lemongrass (I used from the bottle)
1/2 tsp galangal (I used from the bottle)
10-12 leaves of Thai basil
2 green chilies (use more for more heat)
1/2 tsp chopped kafir limes leaves (I used from the bottle)

Garnish
Lime wedges
A handful of green pea shoots, remove tendrils

Suggested Accompaniment
Plain Jasmine Rice

Method
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Saute stir-fry vegetables till they are cooked.
3. Add green paste, salt and sugar to taste
4. Add coconut milk. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Pour over a bed of plain Jasmine rice in an individual serving bowls.
6. Garnish with green pea shoots. Serve with lemon wedges on sides.

Note -
1. Sometimes I add potatoes, butternut squash to this curry.
2. Green Pea Shoots may be available in your local Farmers' markets.

Homegrown Green Pea Shoots

Credits
Recipe inspired by Plant Organic restaurant, San Francisco

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment