Thursday, December 25, 2014

Ratatouille Pizza

 


Every fortnight or so, I make  pizza dinner. Generally, it happens when I am working from home. I use my trusty bread maker to knead the dough at around 3 PM. After the ingredients are measured and added to the bread maker, I don't even look at it till the remaining work day is over. As I come down from my home office,  well risen pizza dough awaits.

Since Gudiya loves Pizza, I take this opportunity to sneak in as many veggies as I possibly can. Every time, Gudiya suggests patiently that I should make just cheese pizza without any vegetables. [Nice try, Baby Girl! It ain't happening anytime soon!] I overlook this suggestion and go my way anyway!

Last week, I made a hodgepodge pizza adding eggplants, bell peppers, mushrooms and corn niblets. I called it "Ratatouille Pizza"!


Ratatouille Pizza
Ingredients
1 recipe pizza dough for making a large pizza, homemade or store-bought


For vegetables "Ratatouille" mixture
1 tbsp. Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup minced onion
1 small eggplant, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/3 cup corn niblets
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and crushed black pepper to taste

For Pizza
2 tbsp. Pesto sauce - home made or ready made
6 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning

Garnish
Crushed Red Pepper

Method
1. For making Pizza Dough, follow this link.

2.  Preheat oven 400 F

3. Heat oil in a saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic till soft. Add vegetables and Italian seasoning. Keep sautéing till they are cooked. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside to cool down completely.

4. Take out well risen pizza dough. Spray some oil onto the baking tray. Stretch pizza dough in a rectangular fashion on the baking tray. Spray some cooking oil.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes. Take out.

5. Spread some pesto sauce evenly, leaving  out about 1" border around the rectangle.
6. Spread the vegetables "ratatouille" mixture.
7. Place fresh mozzarella slices on top.
8. Sprinkle some Italian seasoning.
9. Bake for about 12 minutes or so till the cheese has melted.
10. Take out of the oven. Using a sharp knife, cut into squares. Serve immediately.

Note -
1. You can most certainly make individual pizzas or circular pizzas.

2. For best taste, use only all purpose flour.

3. For health benefits, use half of all purpose flour and half of wheat flour.

4. Dice eggplants into very tiny pieces so it gets cooked easily.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment