Friday, April 5, 2013

Coconut Curry Tempeh Chow Mein



Being a self-proclaimed foodie, an adventurous cook and now, a food blogger, I have an endless list of new foods to try and cook. I am at adventurous best when it comes to any vegetarian food. I don't mind trying anything new as long as it's vegetarian. But Tempeh looked scary to me. I don't know why. But when I came across Coconut Curry Marinated Tempeh, I couldn't resist buying it. Coconut and Curry  - what not to like? - I asked myself.

I, more or less, followed the recipe on the back of the packet and served with the chow mein noodles. If I have to analyze my experience with Tempeh honestly, I thought that  the curry flavor was a little too overwhelming for me. Look who's talking!!

Coconut Curry Tempeh Chow Mein
Ingredients
1 pkg Coconut Curry Marinated Tempeh, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp oil
1 large eggplant, peeled & cubed
salt

1/2  onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 thai basil leaves, shredded
5-6 mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced

1/4 cup coconut milk (optional)

1 pkt Annie Chun's Chow Mein Noodles
A dash of Soy Sauce

Garnish
Shredded cabbage
Sriracha Sauce
Spring onions, cut
Lime wedges

Method
1. Sprinkle salt on the eggplant to remove any bitter juices. Heat oil in a cast iron pan. Saute Tempeh till it's brown on both sides. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, add eggplant pieces and crist them on both sides. Set aside.
3. In another saucepan, heat a spoonful of oil. Saute onion, garlic and basil leaves. Add mushroom and bell peppers. Once they are cooked, add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle Soy sauce. Add coconut milk if using.
4. Prepare noodles per instructions.
5. In a sauce pot, mix noodles, tempeh, eggplant and onion-mushroom-bell pepper mixture. Adjust for seasonings.
6. Just before serving, garnish with shredded cabbage, spring onions sriracha sauce and lime wedges.

Note -
1. I modified the recipe and added more veggies and coconut milk as I found the curry marinated tempeh a bit overwhelming.





Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment