Thursday, August 7, 2014

Mirchi Ka Salan


Zee TV was launched somewhere in 1992 - 1993 and Sanjeev Kapoor with his "Khana Khazana" took many kitchens by storm. I was still attending college then. But I watched every episode avidly.

Those were the days when I followed each and every recipe, every step in great detail. But life was different then. I surely was a pampered chef. Our bai - domestic help- would chop vegetables for me, and I would just cook without worrying about the cleaning process.

Fast forward to several years later, in the United States, where I shop, chop, cook and clean. As a result, the recipes get shortened as multiple steps are combined into one giant leap! Today's Mirchi Ka Salan has its origin in Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana but it's probably a very quick and abbreviated version.

Mirchi Ka Salan
Anaheim Chilies Curry
Ingredients
5-6 Anaheim Chiles, halved or cut into 3 parts if too big
salt to taste

Roast one after the other
1 tbsp. white sesame seeds
1/4 cup peanuts, unsalted, peeled
2 tbsp. dessicated coconut
2 garlic cloves
1 small piece of ginger
2-3 Guntur Chilies * (See note below)
4 sprigs curry leaves, torn

Grind together
Roasted ingredients from above
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp tamarind pulp

Tempering
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Method
1. Heat oil  and add tempering ingredients.
2. As they sizzle, add chilies in a single layer.
3. Cook on medium flame till they are uniformly blistered.
4. Add ground masala and 1/2 cup water.
5. Cook till chilies are soft. Add salt to taste.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Note -
1. You can add a little jaggery if your prefer sweetish taste.
2. I happened to have spicy Guntur chilies in my pantry so I used them. Any chilies of your choice and per your heat preference can be used.
3. I use Anaheim chilies for this recipe since they are readily available here.


Credits
http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/recipe/Mirchi-Ka-Salan-Khazana-of-Indian-Recipes.html

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment