Wednesday, November 13, 2013

RasLimboo - Maharashtrian Lemon Juice Pickle




I was under the weather few weeks back, that's when I thought of RasLimboo - A Maharashtrian Lemon Juice pickle. I was craving for some simple varaN-bhaat and RasLimboo. Of course I survived eating Ramen noodles lovingly made by my family, but as soon as I was a-ok, I headed straight to the kitchen to make a very small batch of Ras Limboo. You see, if you translate literally, then it means Juice Lemon!! But this is not a Lemonade or Neembu Paani. It's actually a pickle. You may call it a sauce since it has sauce like consistency. But at the end of the day, it is made using sugar syrup. So I wanted a small batch as I don't want to overeat sugar!

Ras Limboo
रस लिंबू 
Lemon Juice Pickle
Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. water
1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed

salt to taste
1/2 tsp paprika or Kashmiri chili powder for color
1/2 tsp chili powder for heat
1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder

Method
1. Pour sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir well while cooking on a medium heat till sugar has completely dissolved.
2. Add lemon juice. Switch gas to low. Let it cook for about 12 minutes while stirring continuously.
3. Switch off the gas. Do not cover with a lid.
4. Let it cool down to the room temperature. After cooling, the mixture will thicken up.
5. Add remaining ingredients.
6. Store in an airtight glass container.

Note -
1. I made a very small batch to last about a week.
2. Use only freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3. Generally this pickle is made by making sugar paak/syrup where sugar is taken in double amount compared to the lemon juice. You can adjust based on the tartness of lemons.

 
Lemon Tree

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment